Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

SSH Server on Windows

In the office SSH access is firewalled based on the external IPs that each PC has and I'm often dragged away from my desk to view issues on other people's PCs etc…

I wanted to be able to SSH out to servers from my laptop or the machine I'm visiting but I needed to somehow tunnel the traffic via my external IP so the firewalls would let me through.

My work PC (being Windows) didn't just have an SSH service and connecting via RDP is overkill most of the time as it resizes windows and struggles with anything I had on my 2nd monitor.

I found and installed FreeSSHd which gave me the ability to have an SSH and Telnet service running which when connected gave me a remote command prompt but naturally I was then back to the lack of an SSH client (that was command prompt friendly) on my PC.

So I installed Cygwin (making sure it installed the OpenSSH package), Cygwin adds some Linux functionality to the normal command prompt so it basically filled in the gaps whilst not bridging or NAT'ing with my network interface like the also running andLinux
(systray linux kernel, good for using KDE/Gnome apps like Kate etc…) or my Centos virtual machine. That meant that connections in and out just worked.

Now I can Telnet or SSH to my PC from anywhere on the internal network and access firewalled systems on the move.


No comments: